Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Management Lesson 101

For months, I have been trying to convince myself that perhaps I'm meant to be a worker (the execute and do kind), not a manager.

For those who are in a management role, I'm sure we will all agree that managing people is one of the most tedious jobs out there (at least where I'm concerned). No doubt, there are people who love it and would kill to climb up the corporate ladder to be in that management position. Guess it's just not in me (at least not yet and not for the time being). Plus the fact that I'm really getting extremely tired having to vet other people's work. (trust me, it can't be more tiring than doing nothing at all). For my own sanity purpose, I think I got to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

I guess it's all a learning process in the end, the take-aways that you want to see at the end of the day and the kind of manager relationship you have forged with your staff. It's not an easy job (goodness, no one said it was easy to start with).

However, I've some philosophies when it comes to work and which is very straightforward to me:
1. If your best is deemed UNACCEPTABLE all the time, you are in the wrong job or it's a total misfit.
2. If what you're doing is UNACCEPTABLE and you have said you tried your best, well,you just got to try harder.
3. It's the attitude that I'm looking at the end of the day. If you have given up on yourself, that's the end of the story. Full-stop.

The hard fact is that people who actually have a real need for supervision are doomed to menial tasks, which shouldn't be the case in the first place. For goodness' sake, all are tertiary educated and everyone is intelligent. But again, no one ever said that there are also the black sheeps among them.

No comments: