Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Remembering Grandma

My grandma came to stay with us during the CNY period, as per the previous years. She was sent to a nursing home a few years back due to a stroke as my uncles thought that it would be better for her to remain under the care of nurses rather than getting a maid. We would visit her over the weekends and bring along her favourite chicken rice for her to indulge once a while. This CNY, it was a total different experience as it was the first time, my parents and I were spending CNY with my grandma by staying at her house.

I had very vivid images of my grandma since young. My first memories of my grandma was when I first tasted her pot of mouth-watering chicken curry and that has got me drooling and my eyes lighted up everytime grandma declared, 'Come to my house for chicken curry tonight'. It was one of those special delights which I craved for as a kid. Due to her old age and failing eyesight, my grandma has retired from her 'chicken curry cooking' session and I still missed it until this day.

At that time, my grandma's house was a 3 room flat in Kim Keat. I remember the paint peeling from her wall in the kitchen. I remember her house smelled like her with all the medical plaster and ointment. I remember she never had an unkind thing to say in front of the grandkids. I remember stories of my mother and grandmother picking the hair from the birdnest when my mother was young.

For the past 4 days, grandma stayed with us and we took care of her like she used to take care of us when we were kids. She has difficulties in walking and has to rely on a crutch to move around. Even though, she was just happy to be able to spend the CNY with her children and grandchildren, watching TV and just enjoying each and every moment with all of us. I am sure we too felt the same with her presence.

Today, we sent grandma back to the nursing home. As I held her arm and led her to the crutches, she thanked me and told me that if I am busy, I need not visit her that often. A sudden surge of emotion overwhelmed me. I felt sad that she has to go back to the nursing home and guilty that I have not spent much time visiting her as often as I should. To my grandma, she could not have asked for more than to spend her remaining time with her children and grandchildren. (she is 74 years old this year)

As I held her soft hands and led her to the car, I told her to take care of herself and she nodded. As I see her back fading away, I felt so sad. Just thinking about what she said to me earlier makes me teary eyed. I can still feel her soft hands, I can hear her laughter.

If someone were to ask me what was the best CNY I ever had, besides receiving ang baos and indulging in the goodies, the answer is actually very sinple: spending time with my grandma during the CNY was something special and more than I can ask for. Thanks grandma!

No comments: