Thursday, January 18, 2007

In honor of Sor

I happened to meet up with a friend today after 3 years of losing contact with each other. We had lost each other's mobile and although I have tried asking around for her contact a few years back, it seems nobody has any idea. Eventually I gave up looking and searching. Today was different. She was just coming out from her manicure appointment (erhem, who is having a good life now?) and we happened to bump into each other. (I find her very familar looking and she stopped to look at me..and yes, as we all know, the rest is history). So, we happily sat down for a cuppa and boy did we chat like we have never chatted before. (it felt like the good old days again hah, or am I getting old? hehe).

I have always wondered about what makes a good friend for most of my life I guess. In my working experiences since I entered the work force at age 21, I have seen supposedly good friends come and go. Friends who have clubbed with me since my University days (the so called 'clubbing kakis'), friends who have shared my fair share of happiness and sorrow, friends who made it a point to rush down in the wee hours when you needed them....where are you, my dear friends? I have deceived myself into thinking some people were better friends than they really were. And when I've recognized that they were not what I thought, I was extremely disappointed.

Now what defines a good friend? This really depends on the individual. But for myself, it would have to mean someone whom you can share your ups and downs, dislikes and likes, and changes as we move on in this battle of life. And when we do this sharing, regardless of how wrong or stupid that we might be, our friend still cares for us.

So for this entry today, I honor this friend of mine - Sor (that's her surname). I am glad we have found each other after 3 years and yes, let's cherish this friendship.

No comments: