Thursday, August 30, 2007

Being forced to grow up too fast

Lately, one of my girlfriend's father was hospitalised and awarded in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). Despite several blood tests, doctors could not diagnose what was wrong with him. He is now back at home recuperating and has to go back to the hospital for regular check ups and physiotherapy.

My girlfriend recently told me she felt as though as she has suddenly grown up (too fast as a matter of fact) as the burden of the family (her brother is studying overseas) has fallen on her shoulders. Apart from having to deal with stress in her daily work and having to take care of her mother, and now her ailing father has added to her shoulders, she is totally drained both mentally and emotionally, not to mention financially too.

When I told her to stay positive and to look on the bright side of things (I really don't know what to say to her at that point of time). she said to me 'If you are experiencing what I am facing now, it would be a different story.' Yes, I was at a loss of words and who am I to advise her when I am not even in her shoes. I should have put myself in her shoes before I said those words to her.

I guess Life sometimes throws challenges at you that do not have a quick-fix formula and it can drag you down into depths of desperation. But, it is also under such kinds of situations that one needs to prepare developing their emotional fitness. Just as you need to be physically fit to run a marathorn, you need to have emotional fitness when you are forced into a challenging situation that confronts and confounds you. I know it's easier said than done, however, if you are able to ride this turbulent wave of uncertainty, you will definitely emerge as the champion.

The saying that 'Life is never a bed of roses' - how true this is. This is also what makes life challenging as through each experience, we develop certain character that makes us bigger than what we are and the setbacks, griefts and disappointment which we have endured and overcome help us to march forward and onwards. This is the only way to survive if we want to continue to survive.

So, to my friend and if you are reading my blog, don't forget that we are always there supporting you both emotionally and physically. I am sure even if you need any financial support, the volleyball team will be most willing to chip in too. We are just a call away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, just a 2 cent thot to ur friend. My family went through financial and mental torment during a period also. Dad had heart problem, owe banks 200k, i am still studying in University. But still manage to pull through during that period. Just hang on to what she needs to do basically and allocate time wisely (assuming she is still studying). Right after Uni, come out to work to improve financial aspect. I am sure all of you guys are supportive towards her.

Cheers
EY