Wednesday, November 07, 2007

An encounter with 3 Ah Peks...

Yesterday night, I was dining at Vino Vino wine bar with fatcat at Mohammed Sultan Road and happened to overhear a conversation coming from 3 middle aged men.

Okay, I sweared that I was not eavesdropping because going by the volume of their conversation, they were practically the loudest table in the restuarant.

What made me interested in their conversation was that these 3 Ah Peks were literally trying to fake an accent, telling their Bangkok adventures and requesting that the chef of the restaurant (there was a new chef by the name of Sonia) served their table. Some interesting and disturbing remarks made by one particular Ah Pek caught my attention and i directly quote what he has said:

Ah Pek 1 said to the waiter:
- 'We are not Singaporeans. We are International. Tell Sonia (the chef) that she is cooking for Internationals like us.We don't want to be served by Singaporeans.'

Ah Pek 1 telling the waitress:
- 'My wife told me I am looking old. So you won't be seeing me here for the next few months as I will be in Bangkok. I am going for plastic surgery.'

and

- 'You know in Thailand, the 'girls' look so pretty that you can't tell if they are boys at all. The moment you touched their hands, you can feel the muscles and you know they are boys.'

Ah Pek 1 raising his voice at the waiter:
- 'Bring the food that we have ordered out.' (when the waiter did not hear what he said, he raised his voice again and repeated).

All this while, i was listening and enjoying my food and was totally digusted by these 3 Ah Peks sitting just one table away from me. I;m not saying that they are bad, but just based on their conversation, I can roughly seized them up and make out the kind of people they are. I would like to say to Ah Pek 1, if you are not proud to be a Singaporean, then don't stay in Singapore and you don't deserve to be serve by Singaporeans at all.

No comments: